Jan 11, 2012

SC during Primary Season

 I am finally in the states when elections are happening and am old enough to have a say in the nation's future!

One of the things that I really like about being in South Carolina is that it's a major stop when election time rolls around. I think that it is fascinating to see where different candidate stand on issues, what they focus on, and what directions they want to bring the country.

Today I had the opportunity to hear Jon Huntsman speak after he finished third last night at the New Hampshire primary with approximately 16% of the votes. That was enough for him to bring his campaigning to South Carolina where today he held a town hall meeting at our business school. (In one of our smallest rooms let me point out. We were packed in there like a tin of sardines!) But how could I not go?


Here are some phrases (that I've paraphrased) that caught my attention:
     The best way to know your country is to see it through the eyes of other nations.
     "I'm an optimist"
     "I am a realist"
     He used pathetic twice to describe the state of something in our country.
     Having companies that are too big to fail is not capitalism; capitalism involves failure.
     I'm tired of politics and am not afraid of not being reelected .
     There is a likelihood of civil war in Afghanistan.
     We have an economic deficit, but we also have a trust deficit that I want to fix.


Here's an article about the event: www.latimes.com

I can't wait to see who else puts some face-time in here at the university!

No comments:

Post a Comment