Jan 29, 2012

FFA

At dinner tonight two of my friends got to talking about a club that they were really involved in during High School. I'm used to high school clubs being Student Council, Future Teachers of America, Spanish Club, and Future Business Leaders of America. (Although my personal favorite was Varsity Club; all varsity letter holders would get together to plan pep rallies, but mainly we'd get food and eat!) But my friends last night were in FFA, or Future Farmers of America!

Varsity club at its finest.

They got to laughing about the matching blue blazers that they had, and how much fun it was. It is apparently a serious club where one of my friends went to a national competition to debate agriculture issues. My other friend says that he judged diary cows. I didn't even know there was different criteria for judging one cow better than the other! Apparently their coloring matters, as well as how wide their hips are, and their veins. Who knew?

What I loved even more about our conversation was that neither one of them are going into farming. Their majors are International Business with Operations Management and a Chinese minor, and then Biology with a pre-med focus and Spanish minor!

But they said that they loved it and did it for all four years!


This would be my "oh my gosh there is a plastic animal named Cowlina right next to me that they use for demonstrations to teach kids how to milk cows" face when I was at the State Fair.

No comments:

Post a Comment