Jan 6, 2012

I'm Back!

So I'm back! In South Carolina! (and I'm also "back" in terms of actually recording the Southernisms - yes I just made that up. And I plan on using it. Often.)  I have to say it feels pretty good to be back in Columbia, and that's a little weird! I had to be back early for my job, and there has been a lot of staff bonding. I love it because they're all so great, and we always watch movies and work on stuff together. We also always try to do family dinners. Like the one we did tonight! This is where Aakash taught me how to say oil.

It started when we went to our family dinner at an Italian restaurant, and he asked me to pass the oil. Although he didn't say it quite like that! We spent the next twenty minutes with him teaching me how to say oil, boil, and spoiled like I was from the South. I couldn't say it correctly for the longest time! This is what I've learned: oil is pronounced phonetically like Ul, with an emphasis on the U. It is not pronounced like Ole. This little difference took me those twenty minutes and two different people explaining it to me, and I know that I was sounding funny!

So I learned that you don't boil water, you "bul" it. Some children aren't spoiled, they are spul'd.

That's all for today's phonetic lesson!

.

No comments:

Post a Comment