Aug 4, 2011

Preseason Football Practice

So I recently went to the first preseason practice for USC's football team. -  I'm trying to get more excited about SEC football, or really football in general, seeing as how when I hear football I still think that means soccer. Oops!  - Some friends were going and I thought, "Why not? I'm up for an experience."  I underestimated just what an experience it would be.

Let me set the scene for you. There were hundreds of middle aged men. A few little boys, fewer women, and a handful of students all trying to get a view of the players five to fifty meters away. There was also a police presence in and around the area in case fans got a little too crazy after seeing #7, our huge freshman who is expected to be an impact player, in the flesh.They had roped off the area where we were allowed to stand, one side of the practice fields, and everyone was pushed up as close as they could go. Luckily that wasn't too close because even though the sun was setting it was humid and HOT. So hot in fact that they issued a heat advisory. At EIGHT at night! People were standing on top of the fence that surround the field. Other people had parked their cars behind that fence and were standing on hoods to get a better view. Quite a few people had nice cameras, every other person had out their cell phone taking pictures of the little specks running around in white and garnet, men were there videotaping the practice, and some people even had binoculars. (Binocular men = committed fans in my book.) A hush kind of covered the practice fields and the only thing that could really be heard were the blows of whistles and the occasional collective oooh's and ahhh's of the crowd when there was a good pass or a bad hit.

I have to admit the highlight of this event for me was not seeing the football stars, or seeing all the old(er) men spout off their knowledge of Gamecock football, or even hearing how one man's son had played with one of our star baseball?! players. My highlight was watching the kickers. It was something that I would stand out in the hot, humid Southern night for! Someone was kicking a ball!! Finally a concept I fully appreciate.


Because pictures are worth a thousand words (even if they are blurry).
Notice the guy standing on a stool with a huge camera.

I don't think that I mentioned that EVERYONE was dressed to support the team. Impressive. I mean I saw a woman in a Gamecock checkered skirt.

People standing on car hoods/backs of pick-up trucks. People with chairs. People with drinks. And one man with some fanny-pack awesomeness going on.

We were all trying to get a good look at these little specks.

No comments:

Post a Comment