Aug 21, 2011

Dress Like A Southern Gentlemen


I think it's safe to say that people in various regions of the U.S. dress differently. We have an immense country with a huge range of climates, and that naturally calls for different attire. When I lived in Nebraska, we needed heavy coats in the winter. But when I went home to Florida for this past Christmas I wore shorts one day! 

Being here in the South I have noticed that there are distinct styles to different regions, and my friend Jonathan is the poster child for Southern attire.

Seersucker. It's lightweight, 100% cotton, and textured, so pretty much perfect for hot and humid Southern summer days. Normally people wear striped blue and white seersucker (like Jonathan is above), but it comes in other colors as well as checkered. I've seen seersucker jumpers for little boys, shorts for men, dresses for women, and ties. But this is the first time I have ever seen seersucker pajama pants!
Short shorts. Southern men love showing off their legs (almost as much as they love their polos! Please notice how Jonathan matched his polo with the shorts. The logos compliment each other!). I recently saw a photo of my father in his younger years where he was wearing shorts that looked more along the lines of Daisy Duke's than the knee grazing long shorts I'm accustomed to the German guys wearing. I was speechless. His response, "They were in style and I was looking good!"
Here Jonathan graciously models his new swim shorty-shorts with a four-inch inseam. I think Southern guys just really like showing off their quadriceps.
Every Southern man needs at least one belt with little animals on it. Here Jonathan has two: fish and whales.
She's a bit confused at why he has more ties than days of the week.

More tiny animals. You can never have too many!

Bow ties! (and ties) in gorgeous pastels. Southern men can pull this off looking like a classy man. And yes, the bottom tie IS seersucker. You are becoming quite the seersucker spotter. :)














No comments:

Post a Comment