May 14, 2011

Southern Veggie

Do you know what okra is? 

I remember when I was little and people would ask me what my favorite veggie was. They expected my response to be corn, carrots, or something of that sort, and were always so surprised when I told them artichokes and okra! It was funny to watch the peoples reactions I have got to admit. But there were quite a few times when people wouldn't even know what okra was! Growing up visiting family in the South fried okra was a staple supper food, and we even had "slimey" okra as my mother calls it once in a while too. 

Now I realize that other parts of the country, and world for that matter, do not value okra the way the South does. And when I saw this it made me smile, knowing that I was somewhere that okra was well known enough that they could put it on packaging and people wouldn't be confused as to what that green thing was.

Okra. Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment