Jun 9, 2012

Commercials

Commercials. I still haven't gotten used to those funny things. And now they're putting them before some YouTube videos! Not to mention they interrupt my Hulu time and are before movies you go see at the theater. You just can't escape their omnipresence.

Overseas our commercials were not like anything here stateside. We had "Guess the Capitol" for different states and countries, who you could go to if you felt depressed, what you had to do if you were going to marry a local national, and that sexual harassment is how the receiver perceives it. Now I understand that these probably seem strange to those of you who have never seen them, and I'll be the first to admit that they kind of are. When we were living on the island, we had a commercial that reminded you to pick up after your dog when you went on a walk! Definitely not something that would be on TV in the US.

Here are some AFN commercials so that you can get a better feel for what I'm talking about:

Eat Breakfast

I get all my legal advice from Greek gods

Marrying a Local National?

Family Housing

But come on, commercials here? Ridiculous! Now I think that some of them are pretty funny, but they're the minority. I could definitely live without seeing another infomercial, sympathy commercial - you know the ones, with the humane society, African children, Operation Smile and some heartfelt music - or commercial saying how Product A is better than their competitor.

Like this one:
No. Just no. I see what you're trying to do, but it doesn't make me want to buy your insurance.

However, these commercials make me giggle every time they come on.

Aziz is from Columbia, which does make this commercial better. It's also how I sometimes feel when I kayak with my dad.

Mayhem




No comments:

Post a Comment