Apr 8, 2011

Shagging

So shagging here does not mean what I was first taught. When I was little I shagged balls at soccer practice, meaning that I would run and grab my soccer ball after I shot at the goal. Then as a captain sophomore year for the soccer team, I received a horrified look from a teammate when I reminded her to go shag her ball. She was British and enlightened me on what the English meaning of shagging means. Well then I came here to South Carolina and kept hearing people say how they go shagging on Thursday nights, and find out that shagging here is a dance! Not only is it a dance here, it is one of the three state dances of South Carolina (Fun Fact - SC is the only state to have three state dances). I finally embraced this part of being in South Carolina and went shagging, as in dancing. I learned:  how to shag and that I am terrible at it, how to dance the Charleston, and that shag music is unlike anything I have ever heard before.

No comments:

Post a Comment