Feb 19, 2011

What's in a name?

I am fascinated by names; hearing new names, passing street signs, reading town names, seeing how they are all spelled all make me happy. And I have realized how much I enjoy a good name since coming back stateside.

When we were driving around on one of our first days in Florida, we passed a Cherry Street, and I let out a giggle. I mean a street named cherry?! There aren't any cherry trees on that road, or even any sort of fruit to be seen! But then I had a flashback of a street in Germany called Kirschstraße...... or Cherry Street in English. Why was Kirschstraße perfectly normal while Cherry Street was so funny? I just think that living in Europe for so long means my brain responds to things like street and town names (and some people's names) like a foreigner. Kollweilerstraße and Am Rain are "normal" street names to me. Towns called things Rehweiler, Praia de Victoria, Kaiserslautern, and Angra are all "normal" names that float around in my head. But if I pass by a Friendship street or an Old Bicycle road, that throws me for a loop!

Below are some of my favorite names of towns I have seen so far. (I'll post street names another time!)


Eufala
Alexander City
Daphne
Americus
Gadsden
Seale
Opelika
Camak
Greer
Athens, Rome, Vienna, Montezuma
Saraland and......
Op

No comments:

Post a Comment